Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Storyboarding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storyboard#Business

I decided to read about Storyboards on Wikipedia because it was very difficult to find an article on Storyboarding that I could actually understand. Basically, I learned that a Storyboard is a type of media that has a sequence of pictures that tell a story. It was first developed at Walt Disney Studios in the 1930s. A Storyboard can either be drawn or put on a computer. They help creators see areas that may need improvement in their storyline and gives them a chance to brainstorm new ideas for improvement. Storyboards can be used in film, theatre, business, and are being seen more and more on the web. Businesses can use them to showcase a campaign or commercials. This relates to learning and teaching because a teacher could use this organizer to help students really see their stories come together. They will be able to see areas that don't work in the storyline and they will enjoy writing their story more because of the visual motivation. Personally, I think that the concept involves alot of work and time. I would probably only use it once a year because of the time consuming nature, but I do think that it would be effective especially for students who are visual learners. Further research could be done in order to cut the amount of time it to takes to make a storyboard.

3 comments:

Ashley Sowers said...

I agree that storyboarding can be time consuming, however, don't you think that it would be a fun activity for students to do in a group? I think that a good activity using storyboarding would be to place children in groups and then have them create a movie, play, etc. But I do agree that i would only use it about once a year. And I didn't know that it was introduced in Disney!!!

Kila said...

I agree. I think it would be a fun activity for students in groups. It would be a great way for students to work together and it would help develop better communication skills. I aslo agree it would be rather time consuming to create a storyboard so I would on use it once in a while.

Laura Bonner said...

I agree with you when you said that soryboards seem very time consuming. And I dont understand why a teacher would have a group of students make a storyboard together...how often do students write a group essay? I dont remember ever doing that. Essays are usually done solo.