Friday, November 7, 2008

Streaming video

http://ezinearticles.com/?Streaming-Video&id=278139

The article that I read was titled Streaming Video and was written by Damian Sofsian. In the article, streaming video is basically described as being a video file that can be watched while it is being downloaded. Streaming videos are beneficial because they can allow news channels to broadcast their news through the internet. Many movie productions take advantage of streaming video as well in order to market their upcoming movies through trailers or previews. Streaming video relates to education because, as the article describes, professors can broadcast live lectures or previously recorded lectures online. This way, just like pod casting, students can watch a lecture over and over rather than only having one shot to get down all of the information. Personally, I think that video streaming is quite amazing. Just look at youtube! Youtube has allowed me to see commercials and clips that I never would have even thought I would see again because I didn’t know exactly what to look for. In the area of lectures it is definitely beneficial. Several people when discussing pod casting had mentioned how sound with a visual would be more effective with the learning process. Video streaming matches that criterion. The article discussed how some websites are even broadcasting live videos of roadways so that commuters can keep clear of certain heavy traffic areas. This is an area that I would like to see further investigated. I live half an hour from FGCU and this would be incredibly useful for me and those who have to travel even longer.

1 comment:

kristen zocchi said...

I found your article to be pretty interesting and I completey agree that streaming is awesome! It opens up many windows of opportunity for not only students but teachers as well. Being able to have access like that at our fingertips is quite amazing! Instructors are definitely able to use these streaming videos to liven up lessons and put a visual to the non visual lecture.